1. Redefine Success. Do not allow the meaning of success to be reduced to money, fame or possessions. Do not allow the magnitude that is success to be diminished by believing it is only for a select few. Do not allow success to slip through your fingers because you believe you are not deserving. Redefine success for yourself. Believe it is something intangible, hard to earn, hard to keep, but worth fighting for.
2. If you do not recognize your own dreams, no one else will either. If you do not set goals for yourself, no one else will bother. If you do not find success for yourself, it is far less likely that anyone will give it to you. Those who have achieved the most have fought the hardest.
3. Believe that success is happiness and fear, and the overcoming of fear to find happiness.
4. Believe that success is a journey instead of the ending of a goal, that it is a road not traveled instead of an interstate running through a busy town in which many have traveled before. If you are given success without the journey to finding it, you may find yourself holding a shell, something hollow and filled with air. It is missing the fear, determination, struggle – the emotions – of what finding success feels like.
5. If you too often look upon the successes of others, you very well might miss the success you yourself could obtain.
6. When you set your goals, big and small, actually believe that you will make them reality. See them through, no matter how minuscule or how overbearing. In some form or another, even if the outcome varies from how you thought it would be, success can be found.
7. Success does not always feel successful. Success comes at its tallest and mightiest when it is achieved slowly by fighting for it. When success is handed over, we may not as easily understand the hardships that were battled in order to find it. And, not having found it, we may not understand the deep layers it was hidden under, just out of our grasp and sight, as we searched. If it is given, in one gesture, passing from one hand to another, we feel only the weight of it, the gravity, but not the soul. The body without the memories.
8. Never make the mistake of believing that trying once will automatically grant you success; though more importantly, never make the mistake of thinking that not trying will get you anywhere at all. Try until you get it right; if a dream is big enough, it is worth pursuing.