Embrace the Change

This blog post is about hair. To many, hair is a simple enough thing. Some people have it, some people don’t. Some people change it often, some people never do. Hair is one of those rare physical things in my life that is special, mostly because my mom is a hair dresser/crafter/artist. She runs a hair salon called Studio Two 20 Two. Before that she worked in various hair salons. And before that, she worked for my grandfather, who is also a hair dresser. So you see, hair has always had a special meaning to me.

I grew up scared to change my hair. I would start hyperventilating every time I sat down to get a hair cut. I had a strange fear that my mom would chop all of my hair off, despite having no reason to think that. I have never let anyone else do my hair.

And why, I have to ask myself, since hair is such an easy thing to fix? It’s just hair, after all. I stay safe with what I know, what I think is “me”, and I am content.

Recently I became unsettled. I wanted a change to symbolize the person I am instead of the person I used to be. I have spent the last few years changing internally, slowly becoming the person I could be most proud of. But sometimes, it’s nice to just cut loose. Do something that shocks. Do something different.

I decided to dye my hair red. For as long as I can remember I have wanted to be a fairytale character. Suddenly, I saw myself as the person I wanted to be, instead of the person I used to be. I felt that a change had happened, instead of feeling one coming. I wanted to do something that would symbolize that.

So, here I sit with red hair. Pretty darn red. I feel like myself, as strange as that sounds. I am a blonde, always have been, but now my hair matches who I see myself as, not who I was.

It is just hair, such a little thing in the grand scheme of life…but in my life, it has always meant more than what it is.

1. Katharina Jung | September 30, 2013 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Hey Brooke!

You’re so right with your post! :-D
    I really like redhead’s and your new haircolour looks great!
    I’m excited to see them i your upcoming images :)

best wishes,
    Katharina

2. Stevie Purves | September 30, 2013 at 7:48 am | Permalink

Quite right Brooke! Loving the images by the way!

3. Rachel Marie Smith | September 30, 2013 at 7:52 am | Permalink

I recently went through the same experience! I’ve never dyed my hair and would have anxiety about the thought of too much change and then one day my friend pointed to Felicia Day while we watched The Guild and nodded in my direction telling me that it needed to be dyed. The thought became a seed that grew and last week I dove in and dyed my hair red! I’m doing it in stages. Right now it’s a dark red and the stylist is bringing it up to lighter, natural red each time I go in for retouching. :) It’s a great change on you!

4. Jen Sulak | September 30, 2013 at 8:32 am | Permalink

awwwwwwwwwwwwww! <3 the hair journey. Thanks for sharing, cause u know i can relate…I've become and am still becoming the person i'm supposed to be….and the pink hair just kinda is a small reflection of it. <3 good for you!!!

5. Gabriel | September 30, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Nah Brooke – you just played with the RGB channels to get that color :-) Looks good!!

6. Paulo Carvalho | September 30, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

One word: Beautiful! Love the photo.

7. Ellie | September 30, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

What an exciting change! You look wonderful Brooke, and your reflection on the change really got me thinking…I have actually done the opposite, and after years of dying and changing the cut of my hair, a couple of years ago I decided to leave it to remain long and natural. I stopped wearing so much make-up too and am very proud to say to the world that ‘this is my face’. Interesting x

8. Mickey McLean | September 30, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Love the hair. You never go wrong with red hair. As a school teacher I would give bonus points points to my redheads. Love your work.

9. Serena | September 30, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

there’s always something mystical in changing hair color. I think that your red fits sooo well with your characters. It’s like the real you is emerging day by day.

10. Bettye Rainwater | October 2, 2013 at 6:26 am | Permalink

Gah! Hair Bravery! I know you said “it’s just hair,” and it IS “just hair,” BUT. But it is also such a huge piece of the picture we present to the world. People see our hair – silken, bouncy, ringleted, matted, greyed, stylish or dated – before they know who we really ARE. I hate to say “I am what I LOOK like,” and yet…what I look like IS the first impression I give – in most cases. And people will often decide if they want to venture in or not, based on outward appearance. So, yeah. It’s “just hair,” but you were freaking BRAVE to make such a change. Don’t make light of that. Brave. You. Yes.

Ps – it looks amazing. But you looked amazing before, too.