The Hostile Branches of Whistling Fog Forest

The process that I went through to create “The Hostile Branches of Whistling Fog Forest” is like none I have ever completed. I set out about six months ago to begin creating this series but soon realized that I was in need of, and in store for, a change. I wanted to start taking my time with my images in a way I had not done before. I discovered that it takes great courage to do that; to sit with your images and let them simmer rather than cooking them so quickly. There is a certain rhythm that one can get used to with the Create – Post – Move On creation process that I had not only become used to, but complacent about. I decided it was time to shake things up. I also wanted to document this shoot in a bit more of a classy way than I normally manage, so I got friend and cinematographer extraordinaire Devin Schiro to come along and film. He brightened the whole day!

I am personally very bad at making costumes but learning all the while. If you give me a simple piece of fabric I can do a lot with it, but I wanted these new costumes to have a lot of depth. I also had the idea that it would be wonderful to collaborate with different people, fashion designers and models and assistants, and really make it a team effort. The idea for this character came when I was thinking very hard about what makes me most excited about taking pictures. I decided it was the character, at the heart of it, and how that character interacts with her surroundings. Being that my favorite place to shoot is the forest, I decided to place the first subject there. The idea was to have branches attached to her yet also attached to the tree, as if nature is pulling her back as she tries to walk away. But of course, there was more that went into it and I hope more that can be taken from it, too.

The dress and headpiece were made by an up-and-coming fashion designer who some may know. Her designs are straight from fairy tales, and she even had one of her gowns worn to the Grammys last week. Her name is Michelle Hebert, and I recognize the privilege I have in working with her. Thank you Michelle for working so hard on this dress – it took her over 100 hours to complete and is a real, wearable dress made out of sticks. My hope is that at the gallery show for this series a model will wear it around. She is already hard at work on the next dress, which I am photographing in the second part to this series on Sunday….in the desert. Think birds.

The model is Mika Mae Jones, who is always inspirational to shoot. She had it rough that day, since when I scouted the location there was no snow and it was about 30 degrees warmer. When we showed up, it was 23 degrees outside (F), icy, and windy. I went out to scout the perfect spot while makeup and hair began in the warm car…Soon after, the car got stuck on ice and mud, and we had to have the whole team of us get the car out…then we helped the car behind us, and the car behind that! Poor Mika was so cold to the bone when we shot, it had to be very quick. Everyone else was freezing too, but no one more than Mika. Some of us were out there for hours though, and our socks were actually frozen when we got back to the warmth.

Mariah Wright did an amazing job on hair and makeup. Bryce Rankins along with Olivia Clemens assisted. Bryce was quite a hero that day, handling my smoke bombs and carrying Mika all the way back to the car to make sure she got warm fast. There was so much love in our little group, it was an amazing and fulfilling day for everyone involved. We ended the night at a local restaurant (of which there were only 2 open) and we had mexican food in a room all to ourselves.

Experiences like this make me gush with happiness and pride that I know such amazing people. We’ve all become friends after this shoot, which is so wonderful. Photography really does bring people together in so many ways. I hope you enjoy the resulting images and the video. More to come from this series soon!

Happiness,

Brooke, and The Team

Photographer: Brooke Shaden
Hair/Makeup: Mariah Wright
Designer: Michelle Hebert
Cinematographer: Devin Schiro
Model: Mika Mae Jones
Assistants: Bryce Rankins, Olivia Clemens

1. Maryanne | February 15, 2013 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Sh0wing the process makes it that much more beautiful.

2. Danielle Van Houten | February 15, 2013 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Brooke I absolutely adore your work!! I have been watching you from a far… I am also a big fan of Lindsay Adler as well and was surprised when I saw you do the shoot together and thought is was not too surprising.. because great minds belong collaborating together..

I so understand how the model feels I just photographed an Ice Queen in the same freezing environment.. but I was lucky enough to shoot it in someones backyard where my team and model can come in and warm up!! I am definitely going to share your video with her… Love, love the dress!! So kool .. I have say again.. amazing , beautiful and you are so talented… You inspire me more than you know with my photography…. Great work!!!

3. Siyana Kasabova | February 15, 2013 at 9:20 am | Permalink

This work is so different! Well done Brooke! You never cease to amaze me <3
    I totally love the images, the edit and the story behind them!

Regards,

Siyana – fan of yours

4. Olga (Eliendale) | February 15, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

extraordinary work!

5. Deborah Wolfe | February 15, 2013 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Fantastic. I admire your tenacity at getting the images you see in your head to come into existence.

6. Mandy Shaw | February 15, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Really nice to see the new direction you are taking things Brooke, instantly recognisable as your style but somehow different. Very wistful and dreamy and quite calming. Excited to see the realisation of your vision, puts me in mind of one of my other favourite all time artists , Kirsty Mitchell. Looking forward to following this series

7. Chatti | February 17, 2013 at 1:07 am | Permalink

that was a great treat to watch the process. your work is always inspiring.

8. Bryan Thompson | February 17, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Brooke, such in inspiring story, love the video and the end result.

What is the music? Driving me crazy as I love it.

Bryan

9. cholyong kim | February 17, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Wow…i never imaged to shoot like that, i admire your works and efforts, all your staffs ‘s passion. …
    Great works, excellent concept, your tenacity not broken.
    i proud of knowing you as facebook friend..

10. Katie | February 17, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

I really like the profile portrait you posted, it’s absolutely gorgeous. But the first photo is not photoshopped so well. The background is way too soft compared to the tree, and the tree is so sharp that the lines look funny. Same with her feet. What happened to her heel? Great concept though!

11. Di | February 18, 2013 at 6:51 am | Permalink

This is one of my favorite projects of yours. I love the effects of the smoke bombs, softening the legs. The costume was so well done, and amazing she could see you vision, and make it happen, what a talented designer! Congrats to the whole group!

12. Catherine | February 18, 2013 at 8:13 am | Permalink

The images are SO beautiful! And what a treat to get to see the creative process. Thanks for sharing!

13. yesenia | February 18, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

This was just sooo inspirational!!!

14. gary | July 10, 2013 at 2:02 am | Permalink

I love your photography and the imagination, its inspired me a lot. IOne thing i’m really curious, most of your outdoor shoot using natural light? For this particular shoot from what i saw in video, its kinda lack of light? Do you mind to share? Thanks :)