Shooting “Waiting to Fly”

I was waiting and waiting for an overcast day because I’ve had the shooting bug lately and I sometimes get impatient waiting until dusk to shoot. Alternately, I get tired waking up at 5am to shoot in the morning too, so an overcast day was just what I needed! I had some work to do in the morning that needed my attention so I kept my eye on the window, and much to my surprise the clouds didn’t disappear. Once I had a moment, I grabbed my gear and ran, not thinking about anything but photography.

I had been wanting to shoot this concept for a while now and for some reason never got around to doing it. Mostly I kept forgetting! I sometimes have an overflow of ideas and if I forget to write something down – boom – gone. It was an odd day of shooting because I didn’t encounter anyone and it was so very quiet. That is how southern California gets in the rain. Oh, did I mention it was raining? A lot? Turns out, that doesn’t work so well with paper airplanes.

"Waiting to Fly" copyright Brooke Shaden

I shot the main portion with myself posing and then photographed the airplanes which barely made it through. I had to stuff them in my waterproof backpack and then, by the end of photographing them, they were soaked through. I had a wad of paper balled up in my bag on the way home. It felt so good to be in the rain. I rarely get to experience that in California so I was basking in the amazing feeling that only rain can provide. It always feels tragic yet beautiful to me, a combination I love, and so this day was very special to me.

A "happy it is raining!" shot :) Smile!

Detail shot of "Waiting to Fly"

Broken neck, blank stare - an unintentionally deathly behind the scenes picture.

1. Slhugorn | September 7, 2012 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Amazing shot! thanck you for that video

2. Beata Rydén | September 7, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

aah! I always love your videos!!

3. Maurizio | September 8, 2012 at 3:10 am | Permalink

Hi Brooke, I love your photos and I really liked this video in which you explain the creation of the photo. Brava! Hello from Italy.

4. Ashley | September 15, 2012 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Hey Brooke, I love your photos. You’re really talented and creative. I have a random question. I was just wondering, does anyone ever stumble upon you during your outdoor shoots? If so, how do they react? I think it would be kind of funny to run into someone while shooting in the middle of nowhere. Or kind of creepy.

5. Brock | September 20, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Hi Brooke! I recently discovered your Flickr account and love your photography style. Thank you for producing these awesome behind-the-scenes videos for us to watch, its great to see how you do the shoots. I’d like to do one of your workshops sometime if you’re ever in the East Tennessee area. A question though, why is it better or do you prefer shooting when its overcast? I’m new to photography and am learning as I go. Great concept for a shoot. I look forward to following your blog/YouTube stream. :)

Brock

6. Gina | October 7, 2012 at 8:13 am | Permalink

I really, really enjoyed watching this video and everything else about this post.
    I also think it’s so funny how you are so happy about the rain! Over here (Germany) it’s like that: sunny day: super happy me waiting for the sunset so I can go out and shoot. cloudy day: I take some rather ‘sad’ photos. rainy day: no chance that I would go outside and photograph. :)