The [Framed] Experience

I recently had the pleasure of being visited by the [Framed] crew so that they could film an episode on my work for their show. For those who are not familiar with the show, it is a photography oriented show that puts out episodes each week dedicated to all things photography! Sometimes the episodes are more technically oriented, sometimes creative, and always inspiring. I decided to shoot on the beach that day since I thought it would be the least likely place to get in trouble (you know me and my history with park rangers…). It was a rare overcast day, though also very cold on the beach which was unexpected by all. We started with an hour long interview, which I loved, and went over my entire process. We chatted about specific pictures, why I do what I do, and how I do what I do. Then we moved on to shooting some pictures!

This was one of the first shots I took which you can see me take in the episode.

First I had Olivia hop into a kiddie pool that my intern Devan filled with ocean water and we later filled with milk. The whole ordeal was quite funny because Olivia is vegan, so we found the situation to be extra ironic. I shot a series of photographs instead of doing just one because I wanted to have multiple images to show for the episode, so I ended up shooting about 6 final shots from the milk shoot.

Because we wanted to help keep the show PG, we shot this after the crew left for the day.

When that was all finished I moved just a couple yards down the beach and flopped into the water myself for a self portrait. This one was more whimsical in nature, very surreal, and a chance to show how I do my self portraits. I knew that I had to go with a water theme all around that day, so shooting in the water seemed like it would be fun. I only wish I hadn’t worn such dark underwear… ;-D

This was my self portrait that I did for the day and ended up being a composite of 7 pictures.

The crew was incredible. So professional but always fun and interesting and generally amazing. They made the experience memorable, and for that I will always be grateful to them. I hope that everyone reading this will go and support [Framed]. They are giving us something invaluable, and I am still pinching myself that I got to be a part of it. They told me that they received several emails from people asking to do an episode with my work, and for that I want to say the most heartfelt thank you. I never expected anything like this to come about, and knowing that some of you took the time to write to them completely selflessly just…completely touches me. Thank you! And I hope you enjoyed the episode :)

I cropped this one in and left it as more of a beauty shot.

These 2 were my least favorites from the shoot but thought I'd share anyway to round this post out :)

1. Liv | July 20, 2011 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Where’d the overhead upside down one go!!?

2. Brooke Shaden | July 20, 2011 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Err um oops!!! Just forgot. Added it now. Sorry!

3. Adrienne | July 20, 2011 at 11:46 am | Permalink

I LOVE this series. You have no idea how much!! Especially the face down one that you don’t like. I’ve been wanting to do another drowning series/photo and you have inspired me once again! I’ll say it once again, LOVE this series.

4. Mya | July 20, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

I loved it brooke. So happy to see that you are getting more and more exposure. I love the one where Olivia’s eyes are bright blue

5. Nana | July 20, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

hey brooke!
    i absolutely love your self-portrait in the water. everything is perfect – the colors, the set-up and the mood. I wish I could meet you one day and watch you shooting :) and I’m also gonna watch your video.

and I really love the left one from your least favorites. hopefully, i can see and fav them on flickr as well. keep on doing your great stuff.

nana :)

6. Kelli | July 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

I love how you added birds. I have a thing for birds…

Congrats on your spot – it was a great interview! You have a wonderful, innocent, genuine personality and you’re very inspirational to all of us professionals and amateurs alike. I especially loved at the end, how you described your vision as making beautiful what others would find appalling. I share a similar vision of mixing sensuality with the macabre (I had a deviantart account called “beautifully broken” at one time) but I’m some steps behind you in the photography department so I am just starting to find models to fit the bill and play the roles. It’s been a frustrating journey trying to express what I see in my head onto print, but your motivating words have kept me hopeful so thanks for that and I look forward to seeing more beautiful art from you!

~Kelli xo

7. Jenny | July 22, 2011 at 6:20 am | Permalink

Absolutely loved your episode and your work! I’m so in awe and impressed by your ability to step out side the ‘norm’ and create your own art with your vision. Your work is amazing and thoughtful and I’m thrilled to have been exposed to it. If nothing else it helped reassure me that boundaries are only there to be pushed and broken. Thank you

8. Sara | July 25, 2011 at 7:51 am | Permalink

Hey Brooke,
    i love your blog and your picture.
    They are so inspired!
    Best wishes and greetings from Germany!